FEATURES AND BENEFITS
• Has the advantage of a liquid in ease of application and economy of use.
• By depositing a microfilm on the metal surfaces electrolytic corrosion is prevented.
• Controls deposit formation and sludge.
• Non chromate product
• Effective against cavitational erosion.
• Compatible with non-metals such as hoses, gaskets and seals.
• Maintains constant pH levels so metals such as copper and brass are not affected by high pH.
• Compatible with permanent types of antifreeze.
• Simple control tests.
PWT 544 is a liquid/powder, nitrite/borate based compound with organic corrosion control in re-circulating water systems.
The product can be used for corrosion inhibition in many types of closed recirculation systems such as:-
• Diesel engine cooling water systems.
• Compressor cooling water systems.
• Centralised cooling systems.
• Hot water heating systems.
• Chilled water systems.
• Transformer cooling systems.
• Fresh water ballast tanks.
Directions for use and Dose Rates
PWT 544 is a highly effective corrosion inhibitor for all the common ferrous and non- ferrous metals in cooling water systems using distilled or fresh water.
The stable microfilm coating that is provided prevents corrosion due to electrolytic action between dissimilar metals used in the system.
The product was developed to overcome the inherent difficulties sometimes experienced by using chromate treatments and soluble oils.
PWT 544 has been field tested and found to have no detrimental effects on non metallic substances such as seals, glands, packing, hoses, gaskets etc, normally used in these systems.
The compound is alkaline and so will suppress acid based corrosion, which would otherwise result in corrosion damage such as pitting. However, the alkalinity control is such that even if the product is accidentally overdosed, the pH of the water will remain within limits, so that the metals which would be affected by extremes of alkalinity or acidity are protected.
PWT 544 combines and reacts with sludges, scale and rust deposits found in incorrectly treated cooling systems and will ensure their gradual removal in all but the most severely fouled systems.
In cases where systems are contaminated with oil and/or scale they should be cleaned before starting to apply PWT 544.There are suitable Performance products to carry out the cleaning. Degreasing should be carried out using PES30 and descaling using PR402A.
The use of antifreeze is sometimes required if the vessel is to be laid up in cold areas and so PWT544 can be used in conjunction with antifreeze products.
A colour cooling version of this product is manufactured. It contains a colour indicating system which turns the solution clear when PH falls below the safe level of 8.3.